Monday, September 26, 2011

Playstation 3 Joysticks

I built these fight sticks when I learned that Super Street Fighter 4 would be released in March of last year. They are both 1 1/4 inch poplar frames with an inlaid 1/4 inch MDF panel for the controls so the finished product would be light. I drilled holes in the panel for the joystick and a six-button configuration based on the layouts I found at Slagcoin. I cut out the shape for the joystick with a Dremel tool.



Since I was using a six-button configuration, I needed a place for the other five buttons and decided to put them out of the way on the top of the frame facing the screen.



Some of the wiring work. At this point in the build for this stick, I was impatient and forgot to drill the holes for the extra buttons in the top. Good thing I used zip ties and quick disconnect terminals for all the wiring. The second stick build went much more smoothly. The wiring was made simple due to the fact that the Playstation 3 Sixaxis controller uses tech similar to a standard PC keyboard, with the clear plastic contact sheet. The go-to place for American and Japanese arcade parts in the US is, hands down, Lizard Lick. I got both sets of Sanwa and Seimitsu parts from them, as well as a couple of octagonal gates for the joysticks (because I like them better than square gates).

Lizard Lick also supplies the heart of the whole project, the Axisdaptor, which is a pre-fabricated chip to wire the components to a ribbon cable that plugs into the controller's circuit board. Once the wiring was complete, I fed a 6 ft USB cable from the controller through a notch cut with my Dremel and hot glued the connector to the board and the wire to the notch with a healthy dose of hot glue. The last step was to secure another panel of Lexan to the bottom so the circuitry was visible (a design choice really).

I made some art in Photoshop CS and printed it at my local AlphaGraphics (back in my Arizona days), as well as had them laminate it to protect it. The art was then sandwiched between the MDF panel and a Lexan acrylic panel of the same size. I then cut the holes with a curved hobby knife and installed all the arcade components.



A pretty simple Vash the Stampede Photoshop job, with an admittedly not so good rendering.  I went with a off white cloth texture for the background with bright red components for this one.



The Sonic stick turned out better than I thought it would. I did some quick sketches of Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and (of course) Vector the Crocodile in Photoshop and replaced the black color of the sketch with their respective colors and putting in blue, yellow, and red components to match Light, Medium, and Fierce attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment